Basic Rules of Teen Patti (Table Overview)
|Main Objective:||Getting the best three cards in your hand before showdown to win the pot|
|Type of Game:||Card gambling game|
|Players:||Between 3 – 6 players|
|Cards:||52 card pack but some variations require 2 jokers to be part of the game|
|Card Ranking from Low to High:||2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,10, J, Q, K and A (highest value)|
|Age Restriction of players and audience:||18 years or older|
|Where to play:||Online: casinos, apps & Facebook.|
Offline: Around your table at home with friends.
1. Rules for placing bets
One of the most prominent and constant rules for Teen Patti is that before the dealer begins to deal, a player must place an ante bet of an amount determined in advance. This bet will set the stake of the game.
Players in India have added variations and options to the game that influence the betting rules. We’ve listed some of the most common betting rules below.
- Blind betting: one or more players must put a specific sum onto the table before the game can begin. You may play this variation using a certain order, in which the player directly after the dealer must place half the amount of an average bet, and the next player in the sequence must place the full bet. The purpose of blind bets is to excite players to place more bets.
- Loose vs tight: these terms refer to the way that players bet. Loose players will place several bets on their hand even if it is not a good hand, while tight players fold rather quickly.
- The entry fee: players can opt to divide a certain bet equally amongst all the players. Everyone must put the same amount into the pot, or they can opt to have one player place the entire sum in the pot. In the latter scenario, the action will happen on a rotational basis to give each player a turn.
- Posts: during play, a player may need to sit out for a round to get drinks or go to the bathroom. Upon return, the player can only join the ongoing game again after paying a post, which is equal to the ante amount during the player’s absence.
- Chaal: once all players have placed their ante bets, play can continue. Every player must place a bet that is equal to or greater than the previous player’s bet amount.
2. Rules around the betting limit
Let’s discuss chaal. During play, either with physical cards or on an app, players can raise or call their previous player’s bet number. These guidelines ensure that players can’t simply raise the previous bet in the sequence with any amount.
There are set rules to ensure clarity about the limits within which you need to raise the bet if you opt to do so.
- Fixed limits are easy to define as they set a certain limit within which to raise during your sequence. This structure provides better control over the complete sequence, stake, and game.
- Spread limits remove the minimum amount with which you can raise your bet. However, this option does have a maximum amount that you can’t exceed during your turn in the sequence to limit the stake.
- Pot limits allow you to raise your bet with any amount if it is no more than the total that was on the table before you decided to raise your bet.
- No limits is also an option for play—while it can be risky, it also adds a lot of fun to the sequence.
3. Rules for “moves”
There are four different moves during play with rules that determine whether you can see your cards.
Any player can choose to see their cards before placing a bet.
- Sideshow/Compromise/Back show:
After placing a bet, a player can ask to see the gambling cards of the player who last placed a bet. While the player can deny the request, after the third request, the player must adhere and show their cards.
A show has two options. In the first, a seen player asks to see the cards of a blind player once the seen player has paid an amount equal to the standing bet. In the second, two seen players play and can either pay twice the standing bet amount or request a show.
4. Rules for card rankings
The most common version of Teen Patti is to play with a 52-card pack without jokers, but there are also several variations requiring that you add two jokers which then serve as wild cards.
Once players have established which option they choose, they can proceed to the cards hand ranking system, which consists of the following categories:
- Three of a kind/Trio
- No pair/high card
- Straight flush/Pure sequence
5. Rules for card variations
Teen Patti has a strong influence from poker, but it has many exciting options, and it has remained a popular card game with a large number of players in India for such a long time due to all the variations available in the game.
The longer players play the card game, the more variations they add. While the complete list of various options is long and may need a bit of explanation, here are some of the most common options that you will find:
- Best of four
- High wild
- Low wild
- Wild draw
- Bust card draw
- Two-lowest wild
6. Rule for how to win at Teen Patti
The table layout for a game of Teen Patti requires three to six players who have each paid the boot amount to the pot before they receive their cards.
Once each player has three cards, they can opt to fold, raise, or call, as in poker. The game continues until they have all played all their cards.
The player with the highest hand or the highest-ranking card in his hand is the winner and gets the money in the pot. The other players all lose their bets.
That’s all the rules on our list, you are now ready to try out Teen Patti for real money at any of our listed casinos, good luck!
FAQ About 3 Patti Rules
What is a high card in Teen Patti?
The term refers to a card hand with cards that are not of the same rank; consecutive cards of the same suit or different suits; any three cards from the same suit, or a pair of cards of the same rank. For example, your winning hand could have a high ranking of an Ace, Queen, and King.
What is the main rule of Teen Patti?
Each of the players must place the ante bet into the pot before the dealer can hand out the cards, which is a feature of a poker variant.
Which betting limits exist?
There are several types of betting limits. While some restrict players to stay within a certain minimum and maximum bracket, others require a specific maximum bet. There is also the option of no limits at all.
Which moves exist?
Players can opt to play chaal or ask for a show or sideshow.