Who is David L. Rebuck? Everything you need to know about the Director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming EnforcementAll you need to know about the Director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, David L. Rebuck. We’ll dive into his history as the Director and how his earlier career helped him become the ideal candidate for this position.
Fast Facts about David L. Rebuck:
|Date on which the management of the DGE began:||Officially sworn in on January 24th, 2012, but was nominated on April 29th, 2011.|
|Awards:||Regulator of the Year (2013) By: International Masters of Gaming Law|
|Years of activity:||12|
|Full name:||David L. Rebuck|
|Date of birth:||September 28th, 1952|
|Education:||Gettysburg College; University of Vermont; Delaware Law School of Widener University|
|Degree||BA Degree; Master’s Degree; Law Degree|
What is David L. Rebuck in charge of within the Division of Gaming Enforcement?
David L. Rebuck is currently the Director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement and thus oversees any regulatory reform for the division.
What has been the most critical milestone for the gaming industry since his management began?
He was instrumental in legalizing and implementing Internet gaming in New Jersey. He also challenged and helped overturn the Amateur Sports Protection Act, which led to states now being able to decide independently if they want sports wagering in their jurisdiction. (1)
Under which state department is his management regulated?
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement falls under the management of the Department of Law and Public Safety.
How many years of gaming experience does David L. Rebuck have?
12 years, he has worked in his current department since February of 2010, initially as a Senior Policy Advisor before becoming the Director.
David L Rebuck's career path to leading DGE
David has had an extensive career and accomplished much. Here is a complete timeline of his career:
- Earned his bachelor’s degree from Gettysburg College in 1974.
- Earned his master’s degree in Higher Education Administration from the University of Vermont in 1978.
- Earned his law degree from Delaware Law School of Widener University in 1986.
- He was the Associate Dean of Student Life at Ursinus College from 1978 – 1986.
- He was the Assistant to the President of Radford University from 1986 through 1988.
- Joined the Department of Law & Public Safety in January 1988 as a Deputy Attorney General.
- Nominated by Governor Chris Christie on April 29th, 2011, to be the Director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
- He was appointed Assistant Attorney General on May 9th, 2011, by Attorney General Paula Dow.
- Confirmed by the New Jersey Senate on January 9th, 2012.
- Officially sworn in on January 24th, 2012.
Sources: (2), (3)
First actions that favored the gaming industry
Here are some of the significant matters Rebuck has been involved in for his division that altered the gaming landscape of New Jersey
- His tenure at the Division started with examining the entire set of casino regulations to ensure everything remained consistent while eliminating all unnecessary or redundant mandates.
- Helped rework the regulations for the landscape of Atlantic City’s gaming (S-11, S-12), which saw adoption in December 2011.
- He spearheaded initiatives in the Tourism District and the Clean and Safe mission under S-11. The main aim was to improve casino security and surveillance operations and exclude problematic individuals from casino hotels. This exclusion list saw a record number of people added within a year.
- Actively pursued legislation for different forms of gaming in Atlantic City and other forms of revenue for the state.
- Under his direction, regulations were adopted to allow sports betting from October 12th, 2012.
His projects have had a tremendous impact on both offline and online games within New Jersey and beyond.
David L Rebuck’s influence on Internet Gaming in NJ
Regarding internet gaming, Rebuck has no shortage of accomplishments either. He was closely involved in the legalization of internet gambling in New Jersey. He was also a part of the implementation of internet gaming in New Jersey.
His foresight saw new regulations regarding internet gaming come into effect on October 21st, 2013. He went on to develop regulations for a wide range of gaming, including fantasy sports, mobile wagering, and interstate wide-area progressive slot play.
Takeaway on what you need to know about David L. Rebuck
There is no denying the accomplishments of David L. Rebuck within the gaming industry of New Jersey, and there’s certainly no shortage of projects he’s worked on that have dramatically altered the landscape of online and offline gambling.
He has walked an impressive path since his days as a student to becoming the Director of the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement.
Resources & Sources
- David Rebuck Biography, Accessed 29 June 2022 <https://law.shu.edu/docs/events/speakers/speaker-bio-david-rebuck.pdf>
- Interview with David L. Rebuck, Accessed 29 June 2022 <https://ggbmagazine.com/article/q-a-with-david-l-rebuck/>
- About the Director, Accessed 29 June 2022 <https://www.njoag.gov/about/divisions-and-offices/division-of-gaming-enforcement-home/about-the-director/>