Safe Online Casinos CanadaAre you looking for safe online casinos in Canada? We’ll introduce you to legit online casinos where you can use secure banking methods and which are licensed by a trusted regulatory body. Currently, these are the safest online casinos on our curated list: LeoVegas Casino at #1, followed by 888 casino at #2 and PlayOJO Casino at #3. Keep reading to reveal the trusted Canadian online casinos we rate the best for safety and discover why this is the case.
Safe Online Casinos in Canada 2024
Trusted Online Casinos at a Glance
|Number of legit casinos in Canada:
|Regulated provinces in Canada:
|Safe casino licenses:
|Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, Kahnawake Gaming Commission, UK Gambling Commission
|Safe payment methods:
|Visa/Mastercard, PayPal, Interac
|Safest online casino:
|🛡️ LeoVegas Casino 🛡️
Top 5 Safest Online Casinos in Canada
Each of the legitimate online casinos in our list of the safest places to play are dedicated to player safety. They offer a secure and fair gaming experience.
Here are the safest online casinos:
- LeoVegas Casino : Safest overall
- 888 Casino : Most reliable banking methods
- PlayOJO Casino : Offers tools for safe gambling
- Party Casino : Best games
- ComeOn Casino : AGCO licensed
1. LeoVegas Casino
LeoVegas is a secure and established site for Canadian players. The site is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) and regulated by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). This means the site has to ensure a safe and fair playing experience for Canadians who sign up for an account.
LeoVegas also has responsible gambling measures in place, including deposit limits, time outs, and the opportunity to self-exclude if necessary. In addition, LeoVegas allows Canadian players to deposit using the secure Canadian deposit method, Interac.
2. 888 Casino
888 Casino is a well-known and established legit online casino that’s regulated by both the UKGC and the AGCO. Having these licenses in place means the site provides a safe online experience for players.
The site includes a banner on its homepage that refers to responsible gambling. This means that Canadian players can simply click through to the relevant information and measures if they need to. In addition, the casino accepts the safest Canadian online casino deposit methods including Visa, Mastercard, and Interac.
3. PlayOJO Casino
PlayOJO is one of the most reputable online casinos in Canada. It’s regulated by AGCO and provides information about safe gambling measures on its homepage. These measures include advice about safer gambling, tools that help you measure your play and spending, and the opportunity to take a break, set spending limits, and self-exclude from playing if necessary.
This is also one of the best online casinos when you make a deposit. Canadian players can use local secure payment methods like Interac to add money to their account. Other safe and secure deposit options include Mastercard, Visa, Apple Pay, and Paysafecard.
4. Party Casino
This trusted Canadian online casino is one of the top safe places for Canadian residents to enjoy games such as slots, table games, and live casino action. The protection for Canadian players starts on the homepage. Here, the casino lists its safety measures, gambling controls, terms and conditions, and AGCO regulation. So, everything is clear upfront.
Party Casino also talks about the services of ConnexOntario, an organisation that helps people who have issues with problem gambling. In addition, this safe online casino employs SSL security on its website, so your personal and financial information is secure.
5. ComeOn Casino
ComeOn is one of the most trusted Canadian casinos. It’s a lawful place to play as indicated by its AGCO regulation. The casino also has responsible gambling measures in place which is why it features in our list of safe online casinos for players in Canada.
A further reason for us rating ComeOn as one of the safest casinos to play at in Canada, is its use of safe payment options. This reputable online casino allows Canadian users to enjoy secure gambling by depositing using methods such as Interac, Visa, Mastercard, and MuchBetter.
Our Rating Factors for Safe Online Casinos
When we researched safe online casino sites, we used several criteria to decide which sites to include. This allows us to get a good overall picture of the security of each individual casino.
Here are the main factors we look at when reviewing safe online casinos:
- Security & License - When you play at a Canadian casino online, you want your personal and financial information to be safe. So, we give our highest ratings to sites that have website security in place and are regulated or licensed by a recognised authority.
- Trust & Reputation - The sites in our list are the most trusted online casinos we reviewed. They have a reputation for being safe and sound places for Canadian players to enjoy their favourite casino games.
- Player protection & responsible gambling tools - Most people who play at legit online casinos have no issues with gambling. However, we recognise that a minority of players struggle with responsible gambling. So, we give higher ratings to the safest casinos online that have responsible gambling measures in place, such as the ability to set limits, take a break, or self-exclude.
- Games & Software - When we review Canadian online casino sites, we look for those with a games catalogue that includes titles from safe software providers such as NetEnt, Evolution Gaming, and Pragmatic Play. We also check whether Canadian casino sites have fair payout percentages and employ random number generators (RNGs) that are tested by an independent third party.
- Terms and Conditions - Any credible Canadian online casino lists its terms and conditions, so players know what to expect. We check that these terms and conditions include all aspects of play such as the legal requirements of opening an account and betting, as well as the casino’s responsibility to players.
- Fair play - Fair play is important to honest casinos, and it’s an essential aspect of the playing experience. You need to be sure that you have a fair chance of winning when you play. This is why we check for Canadian casino sites that have fair return to player (RTP) percentages.
- Banking - We give high ratings to sites that are perfectly safe places to deposit money. We check for recognised deposit methods such as Interac, Visa, Mastercard, Skrill, and Neteller.
- Customer support - When you play at casino sites in Canada, you need to know that the customer support team is honorable and behaves in a proper manner. You also need to be sure that the team is available when you need help, and has the knowledge and ability to assist. So, we give higher ratings to sites with helpful and knowledgeable customer support operatives who are there when you need them.
You can take a look at JustGamblers' casino review criteria for a full breakdown of how we rate online casinos. However, these are the areas we focus on when determining how safe an online casino really is.
Licensing, Regulation & Auditing
Licensing and regulation is an essential feature of a safe online casino. If a casino site is licensed or regulated by a recognised regulatory body, it’s required to provide a safe, secure, and fair place for Canadians to enjoy casino gaming. The sites we recommend are all licensed or regulated and have proved that they’re reliable and safe places for Canadian residents to play at.
Safe Online Casino Licenses & Regulators
In order for us to recommend a casino site for Canadian players, we establish whether it’s licensed or regulated by a recognised authority. It’s worth mentioning that sites can be licensed and regulated by more than one authority, so they can operate in several jurisdictions.
We’ve listed these authorities below, so you recognise them and understand what they do.
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario - The Alcohol and Gaming Commision of Ontario (AGCO) was established in February 1998. It regulates the alcohol, gaming, horse racing and cannabis retail sectors in Ontario. This includes overseeing the regulated online casino market in the province that launched in April 2022. (1)
- Kahnawake Gaming Commission - This commission is responsible for licensing and regulating gambling within the Mohawk Territory of Kahnawake. The gambling sites covered include online casinos, online poker rooms and online sportsbook sites.
- UK Gambling Commission - As the name suggests, the UKGC is responsible for licensing and regulating online casinos in the UK gambling market. The organisation is responsible for supervising gambling laws across various sectors, including online casinos, arcades, betting, bingo, casinos, slot machines and lotteries.
- Malta Gaming Authority - The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) is the gaming control board of Malta. It regulates gambling activity in the territory. This activity includes online casinos, land-based casinos, betting offices, fantasy sports, and lotteries.
- Gibraltar Regulatory Authority - The Gibraltar Regulatory Authority (GRA) launched in 2005 and was appointed by the Gambling Commision. After this point, the territory gained a positive reputation for hosting international online casino providers.
Trusted Online Casino Auditors & Gambling Certifications
When finalising our list of the safest online casinos in Canada, we check for associations with top casino auditors, testers, and certifiers that specialise in inspecting and certifying online gambling software and systems.
To give you a better understanding of these organisations, we’ve listed the main ones below.
- eCogra - This is an independent organisation established in the UK in 2003. The company inspects, tests, and certifies software and systems used at online casinos and sportsbooks. (2)
- iTech Labs - iTech Labs is one of the most trusted RNG testers in the industry. The company helps ensure that players in Canada, and across the globe can be sure that they’re treated fairly in terms of the software used by casino sites. (3)
- GamCare - This organisation provides support for individuals who have issues with problem gambling. People visiting the GamCare website can chat with support workers online or by phone. They can also use the online toolkit provided.
What makes an Online Casino Safe & Secure?
Secure online casinos pay attention to the safety of players. They use tested software that ensures fair RTP percentages. They also use security on their websites so that players’ personal data and financial information are protected. In addition, safe casino sites advertise responsible gambling measures on their websites, to provide help and support to anyone who feels gambling may be becoming a problem for them.
How to Identify a Safe Online Casino
When you’re thinking of playing at a new Canadian online casino, there are ways you can tell if it’s safe, before you register an account. We take these factors into account when identifying safe casino sites and we’ve listed them below, to make it easier for you to understand whether a casino is safe or not.
- SSL security on the website that’s indicated by “https” in the website URL rather than “http.”
- Secure banking options available, such as Interac, Visa, Mastercard, Neteller, and Skrill.
- The use of games from reputable software developers that have fair RTP percentages.
- Licensed or regulated by a recognised jurisdiction.
- Terms and conditions included in full on the website.
- Responsible gaming measures available, to protect players from potential risks.
Safe Casino Games and how they work
When you play games at an online casino, you want to know that you have a reasonable chance of winning at some point, and the system is fair. Reputable casinos ensure this is the case by using safe casino games. This safety is determined in the ways listed below.
Use of Random Number Generators
Random Number Generators (RNGs) generate vast sequences of completely random numbers every second. These numbers dictate how a casino game, such as a slot machine, behaves when you interact with it. There are two main types of RNG, they’re known as “true random” and “pseudo-random.” They both work to ensure that games are safe and fair.
Third Party Auditing
Online casino license holders are responsible for ensuring that systems are audited by a reputable and independent auditor annually. Systems that are audited include RNG software, data storage, entry and exit points, and communication systems that transmit sensitive data.
Fair Payout Percentages
The fair payout percentage is listed as the Return to Player (RTP) for a game. The RTP for a game reflects how much money is returned to players in prizes over a specific period of time. Reputable casinos list the RTP for each game. You’ll find that RTPs vary depending on the game and the casino. They’re normally between 80% and a percentage in the high 90s.
|Online casino game
|Fair Payout Percentage / RTP
|Live dealer games
Deposits & Withdrawals
When you use the banking section of an online casino, you want your personal and financial information to be secure. You also want the process to be simple, so you can start enjoying the games you love to play.
Safe Casino Deposit Options
The deposit methods you use have a significant role to play in how safe your casino banking experience is. The methods in the table below are all available to use at online casinos. Our experts' favourite deposit method is Interac because of its secure transactions and high availability. You can use our guide to Interac online casinos to find out which sites that accept this method.
|Availability at online casinos in Canada
Fair Withdrawal times
If you’re lucky enough to win money at an online casino, you need to know that you’re going to get your money without waiting for a lengthy period of time. The casino sites that we recommend all have decent withdrawal times that are fair to players. These withdrawal times vary depending on the withdrawal method you use.
Examples of average fair withdrawal times are:
- Visa/Mastercard - 3-5 business days
- Digital wallets - 1-2 business days
- Bank transfers - 5-7 business days
Tips for staying safe when playing at online casinos
Like any online activity, it’s vital to ensure that you remain safe when you play at a casino. There are ways you can do this. We’ve listed the most important points below, to help ensure your safety when you play.
Only play at trusted online casinos
This is one of the most important points to remember when you play casino games online. Never set up an account at a casino that doesn’t have good unbiased reviews, isn’t licensed, or has poor customer service.
Check that the casino games are fair
You should see the RTP for each game listed, so you know if you’re being treated fairly. You should also check that a site uses fully audited and tested RNG software or hardware, to ensure that the outcomes of games are random.
Don’t share payment details on a public wifi
If you’re playing online casino games while in a public place, it’s a good idea to use a private VPN. The reason for this is that using public WiFi exposes you to risks such as password and identity theft, snooping for confidential information, and infection with malware.
Follow the terms and conditions
Reputable online casinos display their terms and conditions on their website. It’s essential to read and understand these terms and conditions. There are two main reasons for this. If the terms and conditions aren’t fair and comprehensive, you shouldn’t register at the site. Also, if you don’t understand the terms and conditions, you may not fully understand what you need to do to adhere to them. This could result in a potential loss of winnings.
Set clear gambling limits
Spending too much takes the fun away from playing online casino games. You can cause yourself financial difficulties by doing so. To prevent this from happening, use the available responsible gambling tools to limit your playing activity, in terms of financial spend, time, or both.
Is it safe to play at online casinos?
Yes, it’s safe to play at an online casino, as long as you choose a secure site that’s regulated or licensed by a recognised authority. Ensure that the casino you play at uses security on its website so that your personal and financial information is protected.
Can I trust online casinos?
You can trust online casinos providing you check that any site you play at has a good reputation and proven reliability. Always check for reviews of sites before you register an account. Look for independent data and statistics that show the site has good security and fair playing practices.
Which is the safest online casino in Canada?
During our examination of casino sites, we found that LeoVegas is the safest online casino in Canada. We measured this safety by considering factors such as regulation, website security, secure deposit methods, and responsible gaming measures. Although we rate this as the safest online casino, each site in our list is also safe to play at.
Are online casino games rigged?
No, online casino games aren’t rigged. However, a house edge is built into games. This is the way that casinos make a profit. The house edge varies from around 1-16%. It varies between games and casinos and is calculated by subtracting the RTP for a game from 100%.
Resources & Sources
- Operators & Suppliers, Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, accessed September 18th, 2023, <https://www.agco.ca/lottery-and-gaming/operators-and-suppliers>
- iGaming Testing & Inspection, eCogra, accessed September 18th, 2023, <https://ecogra.org/testing-inspection/>
- Online Games Testing , iTech Labs, accessed September 18th, 2023, <https://itechlabs.com/compliance-testing/online-games-testing/>