How to register at a US Online CasinoOnline casinos have taken the world by storm, and if you’re considering registering an account at one, you’ve come to the right place. Throughout this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know before signing up for a casino account.
Step-by-Step Guide to Signing Up at an Online Casino from the USA
After selecting an online casino that you’d like to gamble in, you’ll have to register an account to play for real money. The process is straightforward and won’t take more than five minutes to complete.
We’ll take you through each step you must follow to register at an online casino.
Find an online casino that accepts players from your state
With so many online casinos available and popping up within the last three years, it can be difficult to select a legitimate one, especially in your state. However, our team has done the hard work for you as we’ve tried and tested all the casinos available in each state.
Simply read these reviews, especially if you prefer a New Jersey casino, as we will provide an in-depth review of the site and let you know what to expect. Since every player has unique needs, identifying yours is advisable before selecting a casino.
Keep in mind that while each casino must adhere to certain guidelines according to the license requirements, their registration processes may differ ever so slightly. Consequently, you must read the terms and conditions before registering at an online casino.
Click the “Sign Up” button
Every casino will request your details when you click the ‘Sign Up’ or ‘Register’ buttons. A form will pop up, which will differ from casino to casino, but they essentially need the same data.
You’ll be required to fill in several details to verify your profile, and it’s advisable to enter the correct information here to avoid delays when you request a withdrawal from the casino. Casinos usually require this information.
- Date of Birth in YYYY-MM-DD format
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Full address
- Username for logging in
- Security question (e.g. your mom’s maiden name)
- Preferred currency
Generally, online casinos will allow you to register for an account through the website or mobile app. Additionally, some casinos enable sign-up through your Google account. You can use whichever method is easier for you.
Example of a form to be filled in while registering
This form is what you can expect to see after clicking on the ‘Register’ button. The following screenshots will give you an idea of how the process works.
Get Ready for the KYC Process
Online casinos, just like financial institutions, are subject to the Know Your Customer laws. The primary reason for this process is to verify each player and rule out the possibility of fraud and other illegal activities. According to state law and their licencing body, it's a requirement, so there’s no way around it.
Casinos might request some or all of the information below to verify your profile.
- Identity. Casinos will request copies of your identity documents in the form of your passport, ID card, or driver’s license. By submitting these, the casino can confirm you are who you claimed to be during the registration process.
- Prove Your NJ Residency. New Jersey casinos are only open to adults residing within the Garden State. As a result, the casino must have proof of your current address. They will accept a utility bill in your name that showcases your local address.
- Source of Funds. Without these steps, it would be easy for criminals to conduct illegal activity on the site. For this reason, every player must provide proof of their source of income, whether it’s a salary, retirement funds, or inheritance; the casino wants to rule you out for potential suspicion. They may request copies of your bank statement or credit and debit card details.
Verify your identity
When the casino has requested information for the KYC process, you likely won’t be allowed to continue gambling until they verify your profile. It might be annoying but understanding that this process is for the safety of everyone online, it’s worthwhile.
Casinos can take a day to three days to verify your account. Of course, you should submit the documents they require immediately to help speed up the process. Bear in mind that casinos must follow the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement’s best KYC practices. (1)
Make your first deposit
If you want to start playing casino games for real money, you have to make a deposit. The process is simple, as you can click on the cashier or payments section of the site to begin the deposit.
Bear in mind that you should feel safe using any of the payment methods on offer. Casinos offer several payment methods, each with its advantages and disadvantages. There are some other key points to consider regarding deposits at online casinos, these include
- Minimum deposit. Every casino has a minimum deposit amount, so if you wanted to merely deposit $10, it might not always be possible. For this reason, you must check their requirements before deciding to register an account.
- Deposit fees. Some casinos charge a fee for your deposit, depending on the method you select; however, the majority of NJ Casinos don’t. Additionally, certain payment methods may require a fee for using their service when depositing funds into your casino account. It’s worth researching these before you select a method.
- Payment methods. Most casinos include multiple payment methods for players to use. The most popular method is the credit card as it reflects instantly, and generally, there aren’t other fees you need to pay. Some other methods include PayPal, GooglePay, Ewallets, Bank Transfers, and Cryptocurrencies.
- Deposit bonus. New players will likely have a welcome bonus attached to their first deposit. Find out about the terms and conditions of these promotions before you sign-up for a new account at a casino.
Start Playing Your Favorite Casino Games
After you’ve completed the deposit, you’re ready to play your favorite casino games. However, remember that if you wish to withdraw any winnings, you can only do that after going through the KYC process and verifying your account.
What Should I Know Before Opening an Online Casino Account in the US?
Online casinos in the United States aren’t as straightforward as in the rest of the world. It’s crucial to understand that state laws regulate online casinos, which is why they’re only legal in New Jersey and a handful of other states.
As such, there are key points that you should remember before you sign up for a casino account.
- Age. For anybody to register a profile on a casino site, they must be over 21. Underage gambling is illegal and a serious offence in New Jersey.
- Personal information. As we’ve touched on above, the registration process will require in-depth details about yourself, while the KYC process also demands proof of who you say you are. These are mandatory for casinos in New Jersey, and you must abide by them to remain a legal player.
- Taxes. If you are a winner at an online casino, you may be subject to certain taxes on the amount you have won. New Jersey Income Tax withholds an amount equal to 3% of your winnings. (2)
How Fast is Registering in a US Online Casino?
The entire registration process is quick. As we mentioned before, it shouldn’t take you more than five minutes to set yourself up at an online casino. If you use the casino’s site or mobile app, it should take around 3 to 4 minutes to complete.
However, it can be quicker if you use your Google account, as your details are pre-loaded onto the form fields. Whichever method you select for registration, expect to complete the process within minutes.
Consequences of Falsifying your Personal Information
Entering the incorrect details for the registration process is considered illegal. The casino will likely suspend your account and prevent you from gambling further. Additionally, if there are funds that you wish to withdraw, the casino won’t allow you to if your details aren’t correct.
If there are too many red flags about your incorrect profile, you may be under further investigation by the authorities. For this reason, it’s advisable to always be truthful with your information. For example, underage gambling is a serious crime. If you manage to sneak past the system but are eventually caught, you will be charged with underage gambling and using a false government ID. (3)
FAQ about Registering at a US Online Casino
🔎 How do I find an online casino that accepts US players?
Explore our list of sites available to US players. Every site that we recommend is legitimate and will allow you to register and play casino games.
🤔 What happens if I do not remember the answers to my security questions?
It’s likely that you’d have to reset your account by reaching out to the customer support team. However, you’d have to verify your profile before resetting the account.
📋 What information do I need to provide when creating an account with a casino?
Your details, including your ID card, driver’s license, or passport, along with your phone number, address, email address, and social security number.
🆔 How do casinos verify my identity?
Casinos follow the Know Your Customer process, where they request copies of crucial documents from you. Upon submitting these and then verifying your profile, you’re allowed to continue gambling and make withdrawals from your account.
⚠️ My account was verified, but after placing a bet, the platform says that I need to verify again. What can I do?
Reach out to customer support and follow their instructions. There could have been some red flags that they’ve pointed out and will discuss with you.
👀 What happens if one of my details is incorrect?
It depends on how different the names are. If it’s a nickname such as Bob for a full name Robert, the KYC process will allow that, however, if it’s completely different, your account may be suspended.
🏠 How can I change my residency from one state to another?
You need to have evidence that you’ve moved residence in the form of a utility bill where it displays your address. Send the updated information to the casino to correct your details.
Are You Ready to Register?
Online casino registration is straightforward. You can have a profile for a casino in as little as five minutes or even quicker when you use your Google profile. You should carefully read the reviews we’ve done of the casinos available in New Jersey or your state.
Consider aspects such as their payment methods, the fees they may charge, their game selection, bonuses, and promotions before deciding you’d like to register. Always be honest with your details, as casinos will double-check your information to verify your account.
Since you don’t want to be locked out or unable to gamble, comply with all the casino’s requirements and enjoy the experience.
- Division of Gaming Enforcement, Internet Gaming Information, <https://www.nj.gov/oag/ge/docs/BestPractices/KnowYourCustomerBestPractices.pdf>, accessed February 21, 2023
- NJ Treasury Division of Taxation, Lottery and Gambling Winnings, <https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/lotterygamblingwinnings.shtml#:~:text=Withholding%20Rate%20from%20Gambling%20Winnings,54A%3A5.1(g)).>, accessed February 21, 2023
- The Law Offices of John J. Zarych, What Happens If You Get Caught Gambling Under 21 in New Jersey?, <https://www.johnzarych.com/what-happens-caught-gambling-under-21-new-jersey/>, accessed February 21, 2023